Wednesday, June 6, 2018

May Happenings

 Brittney had an eventful May which began with a new pair of glasses after many years of needing them...
 and a photo op with all the other Moms from Skywalker Trampolines for Mother's Day (yes, Brittney is a "mom" to Lil, her beta fish).
 Breck enjoyed a little bit of "Wesley time" before Wesley flew back to SLC for his summer job.
 Merinda and Aubrey almost look like twins, and have been enjoying one another this summer (ok maybe enjoying is a strong word).
 I had fun going to lunch with my nursing pals at Wallace Station Deli in beautiful Versailles, KY.
 I also enjoyed going with Brad to Chicago on a business trip,
 and staying at the posh Weston Hotel in Arlington Heights, IL.
 This was my treadmill, and the amazing view I got to look at while running.
 You could even see the Chicago skyline on the horizon.
 After walking around the lovely downtown area, we stopped for a yummy lunch!
 May is also my birthday month. My friend Christen made me my favorite cake...homemade carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
 Brittney gave me some of my fav's like chocolate covered cinnamon bears, magazines, and beauty care items. 
 Breck also gave me some of my favorite things: dark chocolate roasted almonds, more tabloid reading, and essential oils (it was interesting to see how similar Brittney and Breck's gifts were, and that each was neatly wrapped in nice wrapping paper).
 Aubrey just handed me some bows and a tablecloth that were unwrapped and said, "You know that gifts aren't my love language, so happy birthday!" I love how each child expresses their gratitude in their own unique way. 
 
 From Veronica and the Holts I received some beautiful orchids, balloon bouquet, and a bath/relaxation basket. My friend's Shannon and Bridgette gave me more thoughtful gifts and took me out for lunch. 
 My little niece Ari drew me this beautiful card...I've never looked so pretty, and I love the "Box" spiders, they just make me smile!
 Sasha gave me this bird necklace with a sweet poem to go with it. I also appreciated all the birthday cards and phone calls from both mine and Brad's families!
 Last, but not least, I got an Instant Pot from Brad, and it actually makes cooking a joy!
 The first thing I cooked was this whole chicken, and it turned out perfect!
 The next thing I tried was roast and potatoes/carrots, they too turned out pretty darn good.
 But my favorite thing to cook in my instant pot so far is noodles. These Lo Mein noodles were sooo good. Even my kids loved them!
 May is also the time for the end-of-year chorus and band concerts.
 Merinda's Ice Cream Concert actually fell on my birthday this year. It was pretty eventful because in addition to the beautiful music, one girl suddenly ran off the stage to barf, another one had a major panic attack in the middle of a song, and the tall girl in Merinda's row fell backwards when her chair slipped off the risers. (Merinda is in the back row, fourth from the left)
 Merinda's band also did a great job (on most of their songs).
 (Merinda is one of the flute players on the front row, right in front of Mrs. King the band director)
 Merinda and Ethan are not in the same band, but Amy (Ethan's Mom) was nice enough to take this picture (it's tradition) during the graduate's recognition ceremony.
May also includes Brad and my anniversary. Unfortunately, Brad was out of town on business so he had a little helper (Breck) get flowers, chocolates, and a card, and place them on the kitchen table so that I would see them the morning of our anniversary. It was a very nice surprise and made me realize how lucky I have been to be married to my best friend for the past 27 years!
 The end of May also brought the Latino Festival in downtown Lexington.
  Aubrey had been before and wanted to go again, so she asked me if I would go with her, and of course I said yes!
 The Latino food we had been wishing for was a little sparse, but the dancing was fun...
 especially the Zumba! At one point the music overcame me and I just had to jump up and dance! I was not dressed for the occasion, and didn't know any of the steps... 
but it's all good because I won a t-shirt! (I have no pride)
 Brad spent the last two weeks of May traveling around China, Japan, and Korea for work. While in Japan, he just happened to bumped into Christina Holt, who is serving a church mission there.
 He also tried out the latest trend in transportation...tiny ride-sharing cars that you rent out by the minute! (At 6'6" I'm thinking that would not be a very comfortable ride for him!)
 Brittney had a fun Memorial Day weekend four-wheeling up Cascade Springs,
 and taking Sean to eat dinner at Melanie's house with Mom, Sasha, Matt and families.
Aubrey, Breck, and I spent our Memorial Day at Scott County Park with the Georgetown and Elkhorn Creek Wards, enjoying the barbecue and perfect weather. Merinda signed up to work a full day at Chick File (and she doesn't even get time-and-a-half!).
 Coming full circle, Brittney's eventful May ended with her resignation from Skywalker Trampolines.
She is really going to miss her co-workers and good friends Colby and Heather!
 
They are the reason she stayed as long as she did.
 Her parting gift from the office was these framed pictures of cows, which are actual cows located behind the office. This is where Brittney would go on particularly rough days to get out some of her frustrations. The words on the pictures are from the cows and they say, "If you need us we will be here for you" and "We will miss our little talks". Brittney started a new job, with a considerable raise, the first of June at Boart Longyear in West Valley, Utah. Hopefully she will be happy there, and have no reason to cry to the cows (or the cars, or whatever is located behind the office!).

No comments: