Sunday, October 7, 2012

Trip Out West Part 4

 Garland, Utah

Our first stop in Utah was Garland, where Kim (Brad's sister) lives. Their family did not make it to the Manwaring reunion (see trip out West part 2) because they had a new baby.



Kim's family was doing very well, and we all loved holding the  new baby!

Saratoga Springs, Utah

The next stop in Utah was Saratoga Springs where Mom lives with Sasha and her family, and where Saul and Carolee and their family live. 
Here is most of the gang except for some of Jared's family (who were in the middle of a move), and Melanie and her family who had not arrived from Texas yet.
The day we arrived was Cindy's birthday so we all celebrated it together, but I don't know who was more excited, Cindy or Matt!

Here is a picture of Sasha, Chris, and Dante. They were so generous to open their house (and Chris's parents house), so that we all could spend time together throughout the week playing, eating, and just enjoying one another's company.
In addition to babysitting, Mom was also event planner and coordinator, and head meal organizer and chef. Thanks Mom, for making this a wonderful week for everyone!
This is Sasha and Chris's lovely home. We were just thrilled to see and walk on real grass.
The view from the backyard was beautiful in addition to Mom's "friends" who were very friendly. 

And I do admit that I did covet the greenhouse a little.
Here is an after church picture in front of the old piano.
Sasha's sun room with the birds,
and Rachelle, Sasha's beautiful daughter.
Melanie and her family finally arrived mid-week from Abilene, TX.
It was fun to have all the girls together again,
as well as the boys,

brothers and sisters-in-law,


and all the cousins!
Aubrey stayed the weekend only in Saratoga Springs before we dropped her off at BYU for EFY (Especially for Youth). A week long camp for LDS kids.  

 She had a wonderful time and it was a treat for her to be surrounded by so man other LDS kids (she didn't think that so many existed in the world). It also gave her a chance to check out the BYU campus in case she decides to go there after High School graduation.
Not only were Sasha and Chris fabulous hosts but Chris made it possible for us to go flying with him and his instructor, Randy. Breck, Isaac, and Merinda were passengers but Sasha and I actually got to try our hand at flying!
I have to admit that I was a little nervous because I usually get motion sickness when flying, and I am very afraid of heights.
Merinda and Chris were the back taking pictures to prove that I flew without hurling, suffering a panic attack, or dying.
Thumbs up I was ready to go, but like a good student, I did not want to take my eyes off the runway.
I didn't realize that I would get to do everything by myself. Once I knew this, it was all about survival, and getting my precious cargo back in one piece. When staring at death in the face, fear of getting sick, or freaking out were no longer in the equation (adrenalin is such an amazing thing!).
Once we left the stable ground below, it was such a frightening yet exhilarating feeling to float weightless in the air.
As we climb in altitude I felt a weird sense of ease, as the plane quietly drifted along.
Not until I prepared to land did my sense of mortality surface again.
So I focused the best I could while listening to my instructor, as I spotted the runway below. 
Turning the plane was a bit disconcerting for my nerves (and my stomach).
But once aligned, I just kept my eye on the runway.
I just wanted to land the plane as smoothly as possible. Here I am demonstrating the true definition of "White knuckling it!" 
But we landed, and lived to tell the story. I don't know who was more releived, me or Randy. Flying is definitely one of the funnest things I have ever done in my life, and I can't thank Chris (and Randy) enough for providing me with the experience of a lifetime! 
That is one things about Utah, they sure know how to make fun water parks that suit the entire family.

We didn't let a little rain chase us away from spending a fun afternoon swimming with our babes. The up side to braving the conditions: we got practically the whole pool to ourselves,
the down side: it got a little chilly for some of the kids. 

It was actually warmer for the kids to stay in the water, but they didn't seem to mind much,
even with the automatic buckets of water "drowning" them every couple of minutes (oh, to enjoy the simple pleasures of life).
And no pool experience would be complete without some good eats. I don't know why swimming always makes a person so ravenous. Don't mind Hyrum's expression, he is just pretending he doesn't enjoy his hot dog (and Breck's shenanigans). 
Our next outing in Saratoga Springs was Molly's (Saul's youngest daughter) baptism, which was a treat for us since we never get to participate in the family's special occasions.
Everyone had a great time and took every opportunity to catch-up and compare notes, like who's baby has the most leg rolls etc. 
Molly with the Grandparents from both sides.
All of the Heelis side attendees. 
When Sasha and Chris's house became too small for the masses, Cindy and I (and kids), stayed at Chris's parents condo, which was located in a beautiful gated community, right on Utah Lake.
It was the perfect place to stay close to Sasha and Chris', with ample space and amazing amenities. Here, Merinda is modeling the awesome pool (because the kids can't get enough of the swimming thing!).
The other great thing about Utah was its cool parks.
After a day of hiking and swimming the kids still had enough energy left over to play at "Neptune Park".
Again, there were plenty of fun things to so for all ages.
Even Breck and Rachelle had fun racing to the top of the jungle gym (I really don't know what you would call the thing).

There were also plenty of things to twirl on (and make mom really sick just watching),
swing on,
jump on,
and sit (or lay) on. I think this was a teeter-totter but am not quite sure because it also bounced at the same time. Anyway it was really fun regardless!
And a park wouldn't be a park without a swing. I like to call these baby swings laughing extractors (for babies who like swings, of course) and crying inducers  (for babies that don't).
Anyway, Sasha and I had a great time reliving our youth through our kids.
I was talking with my kids one day about miniature gulf, when they informed me that they had never been. I couldn't believe that I had deprived them of one of the essentials of childhood. So the first opportunity we got, Cindy and I took our kids to Trafalga, for old time sake. 
We did the glow-in-the-dark golfing which I think was o.k. for the kids, but I think they got a bigger kick out of eating their "dot" ice cream,
and spending their money at the arcades earning millions of tickets to buy sad little trinkets that aren't worth anything. But they sure had fun picking out and playing with those trinkets!
Cindy and I just had fun watching our kids having fun being kids!

Pleasant Grove, Utah

The things I miss most about Utah are the mountains. These are pictures of my personal two favorite mountains: Timpanogos
and Baldy.
And of course my favorite "mountain of the Lord" the Mt. Timpanogos Temple.
Just like we went down memory lane while in Washington, I took my kids down my own childhood memory lane. The first stop, my old Jr. High School (they wanted to know if that was the same thing as Middle School and I said "yes").
and my old High School,
and Cindy's old house in Pleasant Grove (see the "G" on the mountains in back).
Speaking of the G, a trip down memory lane just wouldn't be complete without a hike up G-Mountain.
Did I mention how much I miss the mountains?
I think we all must have been a little younger when we used to take this hike, because I don't remember it being quite so steep or tough.
I love this picture of Corbin (Melanie's oldest) spotting the Timpanosgos Temple in the distance. You can't tell by this picture but it really stood out in the valley.
Even though it was a difficult hike, the incredible view made it all worth it.
Here is a closer look at the G. It almost looks nice from this angle,
but not so nice close up.
And then once we arrived at the G we just had to finish climbing to the top of it, for picture sake of course (and that view!).
Melanie with her two younger boys, Jaden and Mason, and the beautiful Utah Lake, Utah Valley, and West Mountains.
No trip to Pleasant Grove would be complete without a visit to the Lindon Cemetary to decorate dad's grave,

or to our favorite place to eat, "Taco Amigo" (where I can have a little fry with my pink sauce!), 
and favorite park, Discovery Park. Aspen (Melanie's youngest) enjoyed this little puppy more than anything else at the park.
Matthew's kids (Morgan and Tage) are enjoyed  making themselves dizzy and sick,
and Mason had a ball at the little kiddy end of the park.
Another must while in Pleasant Grove is hiking up beautiful Battle Creek Canyon.


We had just enough energy to hike to the waterfall and back, but again, the view was well worth the little stroll.
Even though "Chuck-a-Rama" isn't in Pleasant Grove, it is still one of our favorite places to eat as a family. This particular evening, mom treated ALL of us to a nice dinner at "Chucks". Wonderful family, and wonderful food, the perfect combination! 
I am not sure what Melanie is doing in this picture, but she looks very angelic. She must be enjoying her food too!
It was a little sad departing ways at the end of dinner, so we all "bonded" in the parking lot for a little while.
Sasha with her oldest son, Darek.
The cousins and Mom having a serious conversation. It looks like Rachelle is giving Breck a piece of her mind (you go girlfriend!).
Eric (melanie's husband) and Chris (Sasha's husband) are having their own serious conversation in the parking lot. But something tells me that it's not about baby fat.

Payson, Utah

And last, but so not least, was our visit with the Heelis's in Payson, Utah. It was so wonderful to see all of my long lost cousins and aunts and uncles on my Dad's side. I cannot thank my aunt Bonnie enough for arranging this get-together and for all those who took the time out of their busy schedules to come! I love and miss you all!
The Degraffenrieds from Santaquin, Utah.
The Christensens' from Payson, Utah
The Heelis' from Payson.
Breck and Samantha (Saul's oldest daughter) enjoying their pizza.
Samantha and Hyrum Heelis, Merinda, Breck and myself, and Cindy with her two kids, Isaac and Ammon Dewy
The best aunts and uncles anyone could ever wish for: Sherrie and uncle Denny (Dad's only brother) Heelis, aunt Bonnie (Dad's older sister), Mom, Malea Peterson (Dad's youngest sister), and Carla Degraffenried (Dad's second oldest sister), and not shown Roseanne Thomas (Dad's second to youngest sister).

1 comment:

Sherie Christensen said...

That was fun to read, and the pictures were great. That sounded like a great vacation and I'm so impressed that you flew a plane. I would be terrified I'm sure! It was good to get to see you for a few minutes at least. I'm glad you had a good trip.