Monday, May 15, 2017

Georgetown's Finest 5K - The 5k with Guts!

 Mother's Day weekend, my friend Ruthie and I were crazy enough to sign up for a 5K in Georgetown, put on by the Police Department, that included 16 intense obstacles. Ruthie's husband and boys also participated in the race (the oldest on the right is a Marine, so as you can imagine it was child's play for him!).
 Ruthie (and husband) was only able to run the 5K due to an injured hand.
 Ruthie's husband running through the tires.
 Ruthie's boys getting ready with the camo paint.
 
 Ruthie's oldest son on the rope climb and tire obstacle.
Ruthie's younger son crawling through the pipes. 
 
 
Jennifer, our spin instructor, and the one who talked us into doing the race.


The amo carry, in my opinion one of the hardest obstacles!
 About the time I was seriously dying while carrying some really heavy ammunition cans, I saw Milan, our Zumba instructor, cheering us on at the top of the hill!!
 
 Yeah, this may look easy, because it was! But it was the ONLY easy obstacle on the course!!!

 
 The obstacles were spaced-out over a mile, so to truly complete the race (this race was about finishing, not about time) you had to do each obstacle three times.
This inverted climbing thingy (along with climbing a very high rope, and going over a five foot wall) was one of the hardest obstacles for me. It doesn't look like it, but getting over the top rail was the kicker!
 
By the third time around my arms felt like gummy worms!

When your arms have zero strength left, even turning over small tires is a challenge.

  
This was another very challenging obstacle. 
I think you can tell by the look on my face! 
 I just didn't want my arms to give out and plummet to my death!
Examples of other obstacles (balancing logs)...
tire pull,
 
another climbing thingy, 
  
 back pack carry (there was about 40 lbs of weight in each backpack)
 
five foot wall (Brad actually helped me get over it)
 
tire wall,
 
and lateral net climb.
 
Ruthie with her medal!

But of course it wouldn't be officially hard without "battle wounds". I'm excited to do it again next year, but, I'll do some things differently like wear long sleeves and gloves, and pump more iron to build up my upper-body strength! I just want to thank Ruthie for the pictures (it's nice to have proof that I did it!), and for the support of Ruthie, her family, and Milan, which made it all worth it!

No comments: