Thursday, April 18, 2019

Disney World & My Great Aunt Marilyn

For Spring Break we went to Orlando, Florida so that Merinda could fulfilled her dream of going to Disney World.
And of course Brad and I aren't cool enough to hang around with, so she invited her friend Jade.
 The first day we went shopping at Orlando's Premium Outlets, and then grabbed lunch at 
Chick-Fil-A (because we just can't get enough of that place!).
 Once back at our air b&b condo (which was a very lovely two-bedroom condo, in a gated community, only three miles from Disney World) we passed time taking selfies on the comfy couch.






 The next day we dropped the girls off at Epcot Center and of course Merinda was thrilled that I wanted to take their picture.
 But I had too, just in case they got lost or something, because Epcot is a big place for two young girls to go all by themselves!
 The girls had a good time at Epcot, but enjoyed the Magic Kingdom even more the following day, especially after meeting all their favorite princesses! 

So what did Brad and I do while the girls went park-hopping?Well, Brad worked from the condo, and although I brought work to do myself, I chose to take full advantage of the condo amenities instead (yeah, those are my feet)!

 I couldn't help take this picture of a homeless man sleeping on the hard cement across from the McDonald's (Orlando definitely covers a full spectrum of lifestyles). 
 After the girl's park-hopping adventures, we spent a day at Cocoa Beach,
 where we engaged in some serious vitamin D therapy that included body surfing! 
 We also couldn't pass-up shopping (window that is) at the original Ron Jon's Surf Shop!
 (Downtown Orlando at night)
 On our way back to Orlando from Cocoa Beach, we stopped at Whiskey Lou's Lounge for dinner (just kidding, we only parked there because the restaurant's parking was full, but I was surprised at how many gentleman's clubs were in Orlando).
 We actually ate at Saigon Noodle & Grill, as featured on Triple D, of course.
And the Vietnamese dishes did not disappoint! 
 The next day we went to Disney Springs, a fun place to spend tons more money eating at expensive restaurants and shopping for Disney souvenirs without paying entrance or parking fees. The Disney marketing team really is genius for the number of ways they've created for people to spend all their money! 
 But, there still is something magical about Disney World, so I decided to channel my inner princess anyway.
 I wanted to get this shirt for Aubrey as a souvenir, but it's the thought that counts, right? 
 Merinda (who has more money than me anyway) came through for Aubrey and got her this cute Llama mug with a Spanish pun.

My eyes popped out of my head with all the amazing treats available for purchase in all the little cafe's, but I was strong and held out for the Dole Pineapple Ice Cream Float with real pineapple juice and pineapple ice cream (yeah, it was so worth it!).
Cool life-like alligator in front of the Jungle Cafe. 
 Cool car motor boat in front of huge paddle board party boat. I got the feeling that Disney Springs is really the place to go at night, when the night-life really gets going.
 Cool hot-air balloon ride.
 Disney Springs is built around bodies of water with fountains, which is all quite scenic. This pond, however, was my favorite with the huge Lego Loch Ness Monster.

 I'm definitely a succor for anything Legos, so Lego Land was right up my ally with all its life-sized Lego figures.

Sadly, the next day it was time to start the fourteen hour drive home. On our way we stopped in downtown Atlanta for lunch. (Above is a cool old church in the middle of downtown, Atlanta)
 After tip-toeing past a Black Panther rally (which I thought ended in the 1960's ...who knew) we grabbed lunch at Rreal Taco.Yep, you guessed it, another Triple D find. And, once again, it did not disappoint! 
 And the girls concurred. I know it seems like a lot of my posts revolve around food, but I can't help it if Brad and I enjoy the finer things in life (at least the finer food in life!).

I hope Merinda and Jade enjoyed their visit to Disney World, but definitely the highlight for Brad and me was our visit with my great aunt Marilyn, in Venice, Florida. 
 Marilyn is a 92 year-old ball of wonder, energy, and joy (and should I feel bad that her memory is waaayyyy better than mine?)!
 We just had the best time as she told us all about her home, family, and childhood.
Since she was my grandmother's twin sister, I learned so much about my grandmother that I never knew. In the picture above she is pointing to a photo of her and my grandmother Carolyn, who was taller, and much more reserved and serious than Marilyn. Even though I know the story, I enjoyed hearing first hand how she and my grandmother were adopted by a pastor and his wife when they were very young and their sisters farmed out to family members after their mother (my great-grandmother) died and father could no longer take care of all of them (it was during the depression). And how the twins were finally reunited with their four sisters 30 years later! 
 As Marilyn pulled out her family albums, with my phone I took as many pictures as I could of those old pictures. She told us about boarding school, college, her love of learning, and her years as an English teacher, which was very apparent by the number of words she used that we had never heard before (but were all legit because Brad googled them). I was amazed (and a little jealous, I'm not going to lie) at her sharp mind and memory. She remembered every detail, right down to the clothes she was wearing in each picture! So I guess it was good of Mom to send her the lovely red blouse she worse the day we visited her!

Even though she is 92 and has seen so much of the world, she was still curious and inquisitive as a little child, asking questions about our family, what Brad did for a living, and even about all the weird food Brad eats on his business trips.
I wish we could have spent more time with Marilyn, but that afternoon she was planning a birthday party at her house. My only regret is that I didn't have a tape recorder to capture all the stories and insights into her life because when she dies, they die too. I am so grateful for the opportunity to meet my great aunt Marilyn, and even though Disney World cost us a small fortune, it was all worth it, because our visit with Marilyn was priceless!!! 

1 comment:

Debbye said...

Such lovely pictures of your spring break in Florida makes me feel like I was there with you. Thank you so much for visiting my aunt Marilyn. She is a jewel I love her so much!