Thursday, September 26, 2019

Home Again I

Sandy, Utah
Every now and then I like to go home to Utah by myself and spend some quality time with my family. My first stop was Sandy, Utah where I spent a fun-filled weekend with Brittney and Sean.
Above we ate dinner at Cubby's pizza. 
However, eating out was always a little disappointing when compared to Sean's gourmet cooking like this pimento cheese stuffed pork loin with fried artichoke hearts & bacon and strawberry spinach salad!
 On Saturday we celebrated Brittney's birthday by paddle-boarding on the Jordanelle Reservoir, unfortunately it was so windy and rocky we spent most of the time just paddling back to shore while sitting on our boards (Sean had to paddle Brittney back with a rope tied to her board since she ran out of strength half way through ...I don't think he'll be paddle boarding again anytime soon). Sean was also nice enough to help me get my feel of the mountains by taking us on a drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon which is literally blocks from Brittney and Sean's home...
 The lovebirds! 
 Sean stopped all along the way so that I could take beautiful pictures of the mountains and slopes at Snowbird and Alta ski resorts ...
 Close-up of a pool in one of the ski lodges.
Next year I'm looking forward to the drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon!

Thanksgiving Point, Utah
 Speaking of gourmet food ;) after Brad arrived a week later we went out to eat with Sean & Brittney and Sean's parents Linda and John at one of John's favorite places to eat, J'Dawgs!
 Who says you can't have a big juicy hot dog every now and again! 
 It was very tasty ... almost as good as Costco! (I hope John doesn't read this post).

Elkridge, Utah
 I next visited Melanie and family and while there I got to see Aspen perform in her little community play Mary Poppins, which was directed by by a couple of teenagers! Aspen was the narrator, town's person, and singer/dancer in the chimney-sweep and kite-flying scenes. 
Aspen's biggest fans, brothers Jayden, Corbin, and Mason
 All of the kids (and directors) did a great job!
 After the play Melanie took me on a little tour around her house ... these are the views across the street!
 We then went on the four-wheelers up the foot-hills behind her house. Eric and Aspen also came along before turning around because they were running low on gas. 
 Even though Melanie absolutely hates pictures I was able to sneak in a few.
 And I am so glad I did, because the sunset that night was breathtaking! 
View of Utah Lake and the West mountains.
Our four-wheeler with the setting sun behind it!
View of the other side of Utah Lake and the Wasatch Front. (Did you know that Wasatch is a Ute Indian word meaning "low place in high mountains"?)
 The Wasatch Front after the sun went down. It was a little scary going back down the mountain in the dark but I had total trust in Melanie's driving abilities! That night I enjoyed just hanging by the pool and visiting with Melanie and Fam.

Spanish Fork & Saratoga Springs, Utah
 The next day Sasha and kids met us at Spanish Fork Reservoir (one of my favorite places ever) for some cold mountain water swimming. 
Unfortunately, Sasha's daughter Ari had just broken her elbow so she was unable to swim, but Sasha's kids still entertained themselves playing in the sand.
 Melanie and Aspen just chillin in the floaties.
Sasha, Ari, Dante, Mason and Mason's friend. 
(Sash & I with Rachelle - after a long day working her two jobs, who incidentally moved in with a roommate this Fall and will continue to work and attend UVU) 
That night I went home with Sasha and kids and Sash filled the tub with hot water and Epsom salts, put on my favorite music via surround sound in the bathroom, and told me to soak to my heart's content, which I did (I haven't felt that relaxed in a very long time!). Afterwards, she made the most amazing dinner of Chicken Marsala & rice and melt-in-your mouth cheesecake dessert (I love Sasha's cooking!). The next day we just relaxed and visited all day. I had so much fun spending time with my sisters ... definitely something I need to do more of in the future!

No comments: