Monday, January 18, 2016

Home for the Holidays I

Christmas in Utah

Crown Burger, Salt Lake City, Utah

It was so nice to go to Utah for Christmas this year, especially since it's been over twenty years since we spent Christmas there.
Following in Heelis tradition, we ate dinner at Crown Burger before seeing the lights on Temple Square. 
 
 It was so fun to catch up with Matthew and Melanie again, and see their adorable families.


Temple Square, Salt Lake City, Utah

I love the architecture of the old Assembly Hall. 
 Brittney and Merinda shivering from the cold - Brittney should have been used to the cold from living in Rexburg, but Merinda and I enjoyed sixty degree weather in KY before flying to Utah. 
 I just can't imagine how long it took to string this many lights on one tree! 
 The tree of life, and tree of knowledge, were my personal faves. 
 But all of the lights were just as beautiful as I remembered,
 
and some even more beautiful.
 The Joseph Smith Visitor Center was picturesque inside with the huge Christmas tree, and boughs hanging from every railing.   
 Our little group, taking a break from the cold.
 Even though my kids are old, I still worry if they are properly bundled for the weather. 
 Half way through our walk my fingers froze, so Merinda had to take over as photographer. She got some nice shots, including this picture of the Christus with baby Jesus' manger in the forefront. 
 I almost thought these shepherds were real people. The Christmas story had a few more statues than I remembered.


American Fork, Utah 

 That night the moon was almost full, and looked alluring as it peaked through the clouds.
 Just as I was commenting to Mom how there seemed to be a decrease in the number of decorated homes, we drove through a couple of neighborhoods with fabulous lights. 
 
 
 It was good to see that some people still had the Christmas spirit!!!


Conference Center, Salt Lake City, Utah

 I always wanted to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir perform in real life...
 
and I finally got the chance. 
 The Sunday after Christmas, we went to a live broadcast of "Music and the Spoken Word."
 I had grown up listening to The Spoken Word on the radio and TV,
 but it was nothing like being there in person! 
 What an awesome experience to not only listen to the choir and symphony, but see how the program was recorded and viewed throughout the world!  
Brittney, being a good sport and posing with me in front of the unique Christmas tree, in the Conference Center foyer. The Spoken Word usually takes place in the Assembly Hall on Temple Square, but luckily for us, during peak times it's held in the Conference Center to accommodate more people.

No comments: