Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Market to Market Relay

Inaugural Market to Market Relay Ohio

Historic Milford (Cincinati) Ohio

 
None of us really knew what to expect going in, but after the relay, we realized what we had accomplished: A renewed belief in God's hand, Angels, new friendships, personal achievements, and memories that will last a lifetime! Thank You for a blessed day ladies (and Mark)!
"Carbing-up" at Applebees. 
 
Heather is not only crafty, but she took all of these amazing pictures (at least the ones that turned out decent). Thanks Heather, for capturing these precious moments!
Heather and Vicki ironing our "costumes" (entirely too late the night before our race). That's okay because Natalie and Randi didn't get in until 1:30 am. Not too bad unless you're waking up at 4:00 am!
 
Morning of the big race.

Waiting for the race to start.
Luckily, Mark was the first runner, we were hoping he could 'work-out the nerves' for all of us.

He was not even phased.

Team picture under the starting gate. Because of our pre-race beginning and intermediate running times, our team was given the 6:00 am start time, as apposed to other teams that had the 8:00 am start time. In fact, the race coordinators were a little concerned we might not finish at all, or at least before dark. So we made that our goal--to try and finish before dark, or hopefully sometime between 8:30 and 9:00 pm.  
  
Two minuets to start time,
  and Mark is ready, with his baton (in the form of a wrist-band), head lamp, reflector vest, and two tail lights (all mandatory for night running). 
Mark ran a fast pace even in the pitch dark. He passed the baton to Karen Cooper (a last-minuet recruit from Frankfort--thanks Karen, you're the best!), who also had to run in the dark.
Vicki and I figuring out the running schedule, and if it was possible to run 76 miles during the day-light hours.
We were quickly approaching my first leg of the race. The clouds looked a little ominous, but at least it was now light outside (I'm practically blind in the dark). 
Mark was filling us in on his run, and giving us a much needed pep-talk (like only Mark can do).
 
Right before it was my turn run, Mark showed me a nice little App called "Runkeeper". So he up-loaded it to my phone, and was getting it all set up for me so I would know my distance ran, as well as pace per mile.

That little App was a life-saver, thanks Mark! And the best part--it talked to me, which was perfect, especially since I run without my glasses on. 

Karen checking her time, as I try and put on the wrist-band, while Mark presses the start button on my running App.
Still trying to put that darn wrist-band on. I guess I can't complain, at least we didn't have to hold a real baton in our hands.

This was a pained I'm-not-feeling-too-sure-about-this smile.

So I tried to paste on a real smile for Heather's camera, and to tell myself this was going to be fun! Obviously I'm still not convinced. That expression is just about as fake as it gets.

But I was off, none-the-less.

Now this was a real running expression, as I am coming down the home-stretch, 4.3 miles later.
 
As you can see, I finally decided to stop messing with the wrist-band, and just hold it.

Billie was waiting in the wings, just a little nervous.

Her fist leg was 4.8 miles--a distance she had never ran before.

And she's off!

Since every leg feels like a mini-race in itself, food and hydration between each run is of the utmost importance.
Billie had a cool experience where another runner, dressed in white (training for a different race) came and encouraged her, as they ran the last 3 miles together (after she had stopped after mile one due to stomach cramps). She wanted to introduce him to us, but he disappeared as quickly as he appeared. We'll never forget the story of Billie's running "Angel".
Billie handing off the baton to Randi.
 And a caring mamma looking on.
Randi made awesome time as she passed the baton to her mother, Natalie.
Natalie and Randi were also good sports as they too were last minuet recruits, and had little, to no time, to train. 
Add to that their late arrival time due to Randi cheering at the football game the night before (she is a cheer-leader, not an over zealous fan).
We had little down-time when not in a van, cheering a team-mate on, or getting ready for our own run. 
Natalie on the home-stretch,

as she passes the baton to Heather.

And Heather's off, 
while Karen gives Natalie a little pep-talk (Natalie looks pretty much how we all fell after each of our legs).
I must say, for as little as Natalie and Randi trained, they kicked some serious trash!
Back in the van for another adventure of, "let's try and find the next exchange point on these rolling, winding hills, with really bad (and in some cases wrong) directions".
When Mark wasn't co-navigating, he was smart to get in a little R&R.
Cheering on another runner, 
 
and giving each other pep-talks.

Vicki, our fearless leader, decorating the van (for the "best decorated van" contest).

Our team name. 
So okay, you see our theme--with seven female runners and only one male, it just made sense to be "sister wives".

The other teams thought it was totally funny, or they were confused, thinking we might be the real-deal. I guess the way we acted, one would wonder.
 
It was then Vicki's turn to run her leg,

as Mark waited in the wings.

Sometimes, with all the people around, it was difficult to spot your team-mate. But Mark made it easy,

and Vicki was just relieved another one of her legs was done!

And he's off, once again.

Mark, Karen, and myself ran 3 legs each. 

Mark finishing his last leg, hands-off to Karen.

Karen finishes her last leg strong,

now it was just up to me! I set my Runkeeper for my last leg, and the final leg of the race.

Karen was always so focused that she practically ran past me every time.

Pressing "start" on my App,

and I'm off--for the last time!
The look on Karen's face says it all. After completing 3 legs of the relay, she can finally say she is done!

Downtown Dayton Ohio


As I was running my last 3.6 miles through the park, into downtown Dayton, Ohio, 
my teammates were taking pictures in their matching shirts, or costumes, in front of our epic van,
and then walking to the last exchange spot, where we all meat up together and run the final 0.2 miles to the finish line.

My team was waiting as I threw on my "wife #2" shirt,
and ran to the finish (in order of wives, with Mark in front, of course).
Randi preparing for her round-off back-hand-spring, which she promised if we completed the race.
And she starts...
and completes it! At least I think she did, because no one actually saw, except maybe her mom.
We made it! 76 miles and 13 hours later (almost 2 hours ahead of schedule).
Yeah, we so earned that beer.........class at the end of the race!
Our scorecard--completed scorecard, if I might add.
 
Relaxing at our table, and enjoying our free.....water bottles. This just made us look more legit (as sister-wives).

It was then time to dance, after-all Mark was our "husband".
Anyone watching us, could not deny that Mark would make the perfect husband.

If they only knew that he was also a real dance instructor, and had taught most of us, and our real husbands, at some time or another. 

We were practically the only ones dancing, but we didn't care,
and that was even without beer!
It just goes to show that We have more fun!

I would personally like to thank Vicki who made this possible, and all the runners who sacrificed so much (including their pride) to make it such a rockin time for everyone!
 
Our tee-shirts. Proof that WE MADE IT!

No comments: